This is my blog. It is analogous to my on-line residence. Like my residence, when you are here you are a visitor, and I would expect you to behave accordingly. Also like if/when you visit me at my residence, I hope you will take some time to engage in thoughtful conversation. If you put these two things together, you have the rationale for some common-sense rules about comments on the blog:
- Comments which I deem to be spammy (whether actual spam or questionable spam) will be deleted. Also, if it amuses me to do so, I may take a screen shot (or just copy the text) of your spammy comment, and “feature” it on my blog under the category of spamm, Skewered. The screen shot may include such things as your email address, and the IP you posted from.
- You may include a link to relevant content, but comments should be relevant to the post topic, just as IRL.
- Comments including profane/obscene words may be deleted, or they may be edited to [BLEEP] out the **** words. Let’s try to keep it PG-13!
- Comments which I deem as offensive or ‘hate speech‘ will be deleted. While I support and respect the First Amendment, I am neither the US Congress nor any other government agency. If you don’t know why this is germane, please click the linky and read the text, or get thee to a High School US Government class.
- Comments that contain personal attacks (known in Internet-speak as “flames”), as well as comments designed to stir up **** (“trollish” comments) will be deleted. We don’t feed the trolls here.
- While I do ask you to provide an email address when you submit a comment, I won’t post that email address (except as part of a spamm, Skewered post as noted above), nor will I knowingly sell it, rent it, or otherwise disclose it (unless a court order or warrant is involved.)
The condensed version of all the above: before you submit a comment on this blog, ask yourself if you are following the spirit, as well as the letter, of Wheaton’s Law. If the answer if anything other than an unqualified “Yes”, when you might want to reconsider your comment.
The owner of this blog (which would be me) reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice. I also reserve the right to change this policy at any time, for any reason, without notice.